TC43 - Universal 3D (U3D)
Scope - Programme of work - Activities
To facilitate the reuse of 3D CAD data by developing global 3D
standards intended for downstream 3D visualization applications.
Programme of work:
- To standardize a Universal 3D extensible file format and infrastructure
focused on the repurposing of 3D CAD data for non-engineering
and non-design applications, e.g. training and visualization
applications. Notable U3D features include binary encoding,
domain-specific compression, continuous level of detail, progressive
data representation, animation support, and extensibility to
address evolving market needs.
- To develop a usage and implementation strategy guide for
users of U3D to be published as an Ecma Technical Report (TR).
- To contribute the Ecma U3D standards to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for
approval and adoption by ISO and IEC.
- To establish and maintain liaison with other standards organizations
in order to present Ecma U3D proposals to them and to make comments
on their proposals.
- Upon completion of items 1 - 3, to investigate the future
direction of 3D standards, and to evaluate and consider proposals
for complementary or additional technology, e.g. support for
advanced physics based lighting and rendering applications.
- To assume responsibility for the maintenance of Ecma Standards
prepared by TC43.
Dr. Istvan Sebestyen