TC44 - Holographic Information Storage Systems (HISS) (dormant - was moved to TC31-TG2 in 2011)
Scope - Programme of work - Activities
To maintain an overall view and strategy for standardization in the field of holographic information storage systems, and to identify and develop Standards, Technical Reports and Guidelines in this field.
To monitor and pursue standardization at a global level with regard to ISO/IEC JTC 1 and the international standardization community in general, including but not limited to the AV/IT and computer interfaces community.
Programme of work:
- To develop standards for media recorded by holographic means, based initially upon the Collinear Technologies for Holographic Versatile Disc - HVD;
but not excluding other recording and multiplexing schemes for HVD.
This includes but is not limited to:
- the recording format
- the minimum number of parameters, test methods and reference materials necessary to ensure interchangeability of recorded media
- protective cases/cartridges/coverings with recording/reproduction devices and equipment.
- To study existing Ecma and ISO labeling / volume and file structure standards and, where necessary, initiate and pursue the development of volume and file structure standards for media recorded by holographic means and used in information interchange.
- To develop guidelines for the archival life, testing, maintenance and handling of media recorded by holographic means, and to specify end-of-life monitoring techniques, mechanisms and devices.
- In the process of developing its standards, to facilitate collaboration between the holographic information storage development communities, including the SPIE and the broader IT community.
- To contribute the standards to ISO/IEC JTC 1.
- To monitor the revision of International Standards for Holographic Information Storage.
- Upon completion of items under 1 and 2, to assume responsibility for the maintenance of the Ecma standards.
- Upon completion of item 5 and the publication of ISO/IEC Standards, to effectuate the maintenance of the ISO/IEC Standards.
- To maintain liaison with appropriate other Ecma TCs and TGs and other holographic recording standards developing bodies, consortia, and fora.
Mr. W. Glinka
Dr. Istvan Sebestyen (Ecma)