80 mm DVD - Read-Only Disk
3rd edition (April 2001)
This Ecma Standard specifies the mechanical, physical and optical
characteristics of a 80 mm, read-only optical disk to enable the
interchange of such disks. It specifies the quality of the recorded
signals, the format of the data and the recording method, thereby
allowing for information interchange by means of such disks. This
disk is identified as DVD - Read-Only Disk.
This Ecma Standard specifies
- four related but different Types of this disk (see clause
- the conditions for conformance,
- the environments in which the disk is to be operated and
- the mechanical and physical characteristics of the disk,
so as to provide mechanical interchange between data processing
- the format of the information on the disk, including the
physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correcting
codes and the coding method used,
- the characteristics of the signals recorded on the disk,
enabling data processing systems to read the data from the disk.
This Ecma Standard provides for interchange of disks between disk
drives. Together with a standard for volume and file structure,
it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.
The following file can be freely downloaded:
||2 062 131
||Acrobat (r) PDF file
This Ecma publication is also approved as ISO/IEC 16449.
The previous replaced "historical" editions of this Ecma Standard are available here.