120 mm DVD Rewritable Disk (DVD-RAM)
2nd edition (June 1999)
This Ecma Standard specifies the mechanical, physical and optical
characteristics of a 120 mm optical disk to enable interchange
of such disks. It specifies the quality of the recorded signals,
the format of the data and the recording method, thereby allowing
for information interchange by means of such disks.
The data can be written, read and overwritten many times using
the phase change method. This disk is identified as DVD-RAM.
This Ecma Standard specifies:
- two related but different Types of this disk,
- the conditions for conformance,
- he environments in which the disk is to be tested, operated
- the mechanical, physical and dimensional characteristics of
the disk, so as to provide mechanical interchange between data
- the format of the information on the disk, including the physical
disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correcting
codes and the coding method,
- the characteristics of the signals recorded on the disk, thus
enabling data processing systems to read the data from the disk.
This Ecma Standard provides for the interchange of disks between
optical disk drives. Together with a standard for volume and file
structure, it provides for full data interchange between data processing
systems. The optical disks specified by this Ecma Standard may be
enclosed in cases according to Standard ECMA-273
as specified therein.
The following files can be freely downloaded:
||Acrobat (r) PDF file
This Ecma publication is also approved as ISO/IEC 16824.
The previous replaced "historical" edition of this Ecma Standard is available here.