This Ecma Standard specifies the characteristics of 90 mm Optical Disk Cartridges, (ODCs) with a capacity of 385 Mbytes per cartridge. The Standard specifies one type of such cartridge, viz.
Provides for data to be written, read and erased many times over the whole of the recording surface of the disk using the thermo-magnetic and magneto-optical effects.
This Ecma Standard specifies:
- the conditions for conformance testing and the Reference Drive;
- the environments in which the cartridges are to be operated and stored;
- the mechanical and physical characteristics of the cartridge, so as to provide mechanical interchangeability between data processing systems;
- the format of the information on the disk, both embossed and user written; including the physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correction codes and the modulation method used;
- the characteristics of the embossed information on the disk;
- the magneto-optical characteristics of the disk, enabling processing systems to write data onto the disk;
- the minimum quality of user-written data on the disk, enabling data processing systems to read data from the disk.
This Ecma Standard provides for media interchange between optical disk drives. Together with a Standard for volume and file structure, it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.