This Ecma Standard specifies the characteristics of 356 mm Optical Disk Cartridges (ODCs) of the type providing for information to be written once and read many times.
This Ecma Standard specifies:
- definitions of essential concepts,
- the environment in which the characteristics shall be tested,
- the environments in which the cartridge shall be operated and stored,
- the mechanical, physical and dimensional characteristics of the case and of the optical disk,
- the optical characteristics and the recording characteristics for recording the information once and for reading it many times, so as to provide physical interchangeability between data processing systems.
- the format for the physical disposition of the tracks and sectors, the error correction codes, the modulation methods used for recording and the quality of the recorded signals.
Together with a standard for volume and file structure, this Ecma Standard provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.