This Ecma Standard specifies the characteristics of a case for use with 120 mm DVD-RAM disks as specified in Standard ECMA-272.
The present Ecma Standard specifies three related, but different implementations of such cases, viz.
- Type 1
- Provides a case for a one-sided (Type 1S) or a two-sided (Type 2S) DVD-RAM disk such that the disk can not be removed from the case. This case is reversible.
- Type 2
- Provides a case for a one-sided DVD-RAM disk (Type 1S) such that the disk may be removed from the case. This case is not reversible.
- Type 3
- Provides a case into which a one-sided DVD-RAM disk (Type 1S) may be inserted, then used as a cartridge. This case is not reversible.
This Ecma Standard specifies:
- the environments in which the cases are to be operated and stored;
- the dimensional and mechanical characteristics of the case, so as to provide mechanical interchangeability between data processing systems;
This Ecma Standard provides for mechanical interchange between optical disk drives. Together with Standard ECMA-272 for 120 mm DVD-RAM disks and a standard for volume and file structure, it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.