This Ecma Standard specifies the mechanical, physical, and optical characteristics of a holographic disk cartridge (HDC) that employs holographic recording to enable data interchange between such disks.
The disk is of the Phi (Permanent holographic information) type providing for data once written to be read a multiplicity of times.
The 120 mm diameter disk has a nominal capacity of 200 Gigabytes.
This Ecma Standard specifies
- the conditions for conformance testing and the Reference Drive;
- the environments in which the cartridges are to be operated and stored;
- the mechanical, physical and dimensional characteristics of the cartridge so as to provide mechanical interchangeability between data processing systems;
- the format of the information on the disk, both embossed and user-written, including the physical disposition of the tracks and data pages, the error correction codes, the modulation methods used;
- the characteristics of the embossed information on the disk;
- the holographic characteristics of the disk, enabling processing systems to write and read data onto/from the disk;
- the minimum quality of user-written data on the disk, enabling data processing systems to read data from the disk.
This Ecma Standard provides for interchange between holographic disk drives. Together with a standard for volume and file structure, it provides for full data interchange between data processing systems.