To facilitate compatible interconnection of data processing equipment conforming to the Open Systems Interconnection architecture and protocols, this Technical Report ECMA TR/20:
- describes the general principles of OSI addressing;
- describes the syntax and semantics of addresses carried in certain protocols operating in layers 4 to 1 of the OSI Reference Model.
The following are outside of the scope of this Technical Report:
- the syntax and semantics of OSI Names or Titles;
- the encoding of addresses passed across real service interfaces;
- the rules governing Connection End Point identifiers, Protocol Reference Numbers and the like.