This Ecma Technical Report describes a methodology for specification of external interactions of distributed applications. It contains:
- A statement of the requirements to be satisfied by this specification methodology (see section 2.);
- A tutorial explanation of the fundamental concepts (see section 3.);
- Definition of the specification notation (see section 4.);
- Definition of the connection-oriented service, protocol and mapping (see sections 5 and 6.);
- Recommendations for conformance statements to be included by applications which use this methodology (see section 7.).
The methodology may be the basis for a future ECMA standard on this subject. But before that, there is a need for further study and liaison with ISO and the CCITT.