This Ecma Technical Report:
- Describes an overall model for an OSI Directory System;
- Defines a naming convention to be used when accessing an OSI Directory System by means of a Directory Access Protocol;
- Defines an information structure to be used to declare and retrieve information stored by an OSI Directory System by means of a Directory Access Protocol;
- Specifies a Directory Access Service and a Directory Access Protocol conforming to the overall model, the naming convention and the information structure.
This Directory Access Service and Protocol is a functional subset of what will ultimately be required in OSI Directory Standards. Major areas outside the scope of this ECMA Technical Report are:
- Directory System Service and Protocol, by which the providers of the Directory System interact to maintain consistency among themselves;
- Service Elements for administration of the Directory System.
This Technical Report does not define or describe either implementation design characteristics or intra-system interfaces.